How good a political leader was Lord John Russell?
Mar 25th, 2021 by Never Mind The Bar Charts
After the special joint edition with the Lib Dem Pod looking at cross-party cooperation, it’s back to the normal format this time – and welcome back to Duncan Brack for one of our historical dives into a former party leader.
After having discussed Jo Grimond and David Steel, this time we’re headed into the 19th century with Lord John Russell. He served in government for at least part of every decade from the 1830s through to the 1860s, with two spells as Prime Minister, 13 years apart.
What should we make of his political career?
Feedback very welcome, and do share this podcast with others who you think may enjoy it.
- Lord John Russell biography on the gov.uk website.
- My 'what if' about the 1832 Great Reform Act.
- The Prime Ministers, edited by Iain Dale: Bookshop (independent bookshops) / Amazon.*
- Theme tune by Hugo Lee.
- New to listening to podcasts? Here are some tips on how to listen to podcasts.
Enjoy the show? Spread the word
- Follow the show on Twitter.
- Like the show on Facebook.
- Share the show's website, www.NeverMindTheBarCharts.com.
* This list includes affiliate links which generate a commission for each sale made.